Saturday, October 11, 2014

Blog Post 6

When doing the post it note activity one specific idea stuck out to me. That was the idea of "Filling" kids. The idea that students in the class room were just containers that needed to be filled to capacity before they could move on to the next stage of their learning experience. Freire often spoke of the fact that teachers feel like it is there job to keep students moving forward as opposed to making a connection to them. Yet one of the ways that education seems to be most effective is when there is that connection. I have had both experiences in my life. The first being a negative experience of being pushed through. My sixth grade history teacher was an example of this negative teaching style. He was only focused on grades and everything had a grade. We were expected to read on our own and there was virtually no lecture in the class. At that age it was very stressful to be expected to know how to learn in that environment. My high school chemistry teacher is a positive example on how to "fill" kids while still having a relationship with them. This teacher used to use unique strategies such as letting us teach a class or create a lecture. We all looked forward to going to class and at the same time I think I learned the most  I ever have in that course. He is the huge reason that I am so interested in becoming a teacher so that I can make those connections with students as they grow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment